Ultimate Home Inspector Vetting Checklist
How do I Select a Reputable Home Inspector?
The real estate industry is booming and as we wait to hear back on our competitive offers, how do I find and determine the best home inspector as quickly as possible? Finding a trustworthy home inspector is crucial to a seamless purchasing process, arming you with a proper negotiation tool to purchase with confidence!
To assist you in this process, we at Magnolia Home Inspections have put together a checklist to help you vet home inspectors. This checklist is based on our experience of working with over 3,000 home buyers in the Middle Tennessee area including Nashville, Franklin, Murfreesboro, Hendersonville and Thompson Station. This checklist is also intended to be a tool for hundreds of folks who found us through the internet and looking to qualify a local home inspector in their area.
The Ultimate Home Inspector Vetting Checklist Inspector Name: ___________________________________________________________
- Business Information
__ The company is licensed and insured
__ Does the company have stated core values?
__ Do these core values align with your values?
__ Find out how many years the company has been in business Years in business: __________
Note: According to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 20% of U.S. small business fail within the first year. By the end of their fifth year, roughly 50% have faltered. (LendingTree.com)
- Industry Experience
Ask the following questions of the home inspector:
- How many inspections have you completed since starting the business? __________
- How many inspections did you complete last year? _________
- Of those inspections, were there any complaints? __________
- What is your construction experience? What is your experience fixing the issues that are included in a home inspection report?____________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________
- Report Quality – Request a copy of a Sample home inspection report and look for the following:
- Are house defects worded in a way that provides you with leverage in a negotiation? __________
- Are defects distinguished between DIY project and a contractor repair? _________
- Are repair recommendations specific enough for you to know what action you need to take next? ________
- Would you feel comfortable using this report as a professional document in a legal situation?________
- Reviews and Ratings
__ Collectively, the home inspector has at least a 5:1 good review to bad review ratio
__ Read the negative reviews
__ Was the negative review a personality conflict or the result of a lack of professional service?
__ Did the home inspector respond reasonably to all negative reviews? What do the best reviews say about the core ethos of how this home inspector conducts business? __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________
- Services Provided
__ Will you walk the roof on my inspection
__ If no: How will you protect me with an accurate description of the roof age and any existing damages that currently need repaired?
__ Do you have an inspector on the team with an FAA 107 Drone License?
__ Do you offer Sewer Scope inspections?
__ Does a licensed and bonded Pest Control company complete your Termite Letter Inspections?
__ Do you offer Radon testing? What relevant facts can you provide regarding the risk level of Radon gas for the location I am purchasing?_____________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________
What will you not inspect?____________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________
- Service Guarantee
What is your Service Guarantee?_____________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
What should I expect in the event I have an issue with my report?________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
How have you handled client complaints in the past? ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
- Things That Are NOT All That Important
- Number of Reviews: Any rating that is below 4.5 should be a red flag, however the number of reviews should be judged with an eye of skepticism. Take Yelp for example: We don’t pay Yelp a fee and are penalized by having the vast majority of our reviews hidden (only available at the bottom of the page listed as ‘not recommended’), any negative reviews are moved to the top and the contact information of our competitors who pay the fee is listed on our page.
We hope you find this helpful! Any feedback you have with utilizing this checklist as a tool we would welcome. Please email us your feedback at email@example.com